New Jersey F-1 Race Postponed To 2014
WEEHAWKEN, N.J. — Not surprisingly to motorsports insiders the Grand Prix of the Americas, which was tentatively scheduled for June 16, 2013 in the streets along the Hudson River, has been postponed until at least 2014.
The announcement came Friday. Official reasons for the postponement include road repairs and construction permits for the 3.2-mile street course, which are behind schedule.
While the FIA initially listed the event as tentative on the provisional Formula One schedule it released earlier this month, the plug was pulled nine months short of the green flag.
“We are going to be racing at Port Imperial, unfortunately just not as soon as we hoped and expected,” said Leo Hindery Jr., promoter of the annual event. “We promised Governor (Chris) Christie, the Towns, the sport and its international fans the best possible experience, and unfortunately we need additional time to ensure that happens.”
Hindery and Formula One rights holder Bernie Ecclestone issued a joint statement Friday.
“I remain totally committed to the Port Imperial race and its unique location and attributes, and we will continue to work closely together to realize our dream in 2014,” said Ecclestone in the statement. “As Leo says, we are still going to be racing at Port Imperial, now however in 2014.”
However, Ecclestone was more candid with the European press.
“The reason is because they didn’t quite know what they were doing,” Ecclestone said. “They got all the permissions together. Everything was done, that was all fine, but then they missed the boat a little on some financing that was coming in.”