Carmichael Among AMA HoF Nominees
PICKERINGTON, Ohio – A dominant AMA Supercross and motocross champion nicknamed “The GOAT” (The Greatest Of All Time), a pair of riders who helped raise tens of millions of dollars in search of the cause of and cure for pediatric brain tumors, and a founder of one of the aftermarket’s most recognizable brands are among the motorcyclists who are on the 2013 ballot for possible elevation to the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
Multi-time AMA champion Ricky Carmichael, the Ride for Kids’ Mike and Dianne Traynor, and K&N co-founder Norm McDonald are among the nominees on the 2013 AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame ballot that includes racers, designers, tuners, and ambassadors for motorcycling in consideration of elevation to motorcycling’s highest honor.
“Very few people start their careers in this industry or sport expecting to end up in the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame, however the very best always rise to the top, as we see again this year,” said Jeffrey V. Heininger, chairman of the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation, which oversees the Hall of Fame. “The AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame truly encompasses the standout riders and racers, especially those driven to excel beyond mere greatness. What’s particularly impressive this year is the breadth of that drive across all types of motorcycling represented on the ballot, from racing, to business, to rights, to engine design and more. These 2013 nominees epitomize the essence of the American Motorcyclist Ass’n.”
The complete list of 2013 nominees is noted (alphabetically) immediately below, with brief bios of each nominee following:
- Motorcycle rights activist Mark Buckner
- AMA Supercross and motocross racer Ricky Carmichael
- Indian tuner and flat-tracker Richard Gross
- Indian Powerplus designer and engineer Charles Gustafson Sr.
- AMA champion and Baja racer Danny Hamel
- Flat-track racer Tommy Hays
- Hillclimber Joseph Hemmis Sr.
- Desert racer Jack Johnson
- Land speed racer Bob Leppan
- K&N co-founder Norm McDonald
- AMA champion roadracer Randy Renfrow
- Champion dragracer Joe Smith
- Motor Maid Gloria Tramontin Struck
- Ride For Kids and Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation co-founders Mike and Dianne Traynor
- AMA Government Relations pioneer F. Eugene “Gene” Wirwahn