Rossi Agrees To Yamaha Contract Extension
GERNO DI LESMO, Italy – Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd signed a new two-year agreement with Valentino Rossi on Wednesday.
The agreement means that the nine-time world champion will continue to race with Movistar Yamaha MotoGP for the 2015 and 2016 MotoGP World Championship seasons.
“I am very happy that we have concluded the agreement with Valentino for 2015 and 2016,” Yamaha Managing Director Lin Jarvis said.
“Since his return to Yamaha in 2013, it’s been a very positive experience for everybody involved. After two difficult years away from home, Valentino returned last year, not only to us but also to his beloved YZR-M1.”
The extension comes midway through an excellent season for the MotoGP veteran. Rossi currently sits in second in the standings having taken four second-place finishes and five podiums in eight races this year.
“I am very proud of this announcement,” Rossi said.
“It’s very important to me because I really enjoy working with my crew and all the guys from the team, both the Japanese and European members that have been with me almost my entire career. It’s great because this was my target; I wanted to continue, I am feeling good and I’m motivated to keep giving my best.”