Media Tour Notes: Petty Holds Court
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Richard Petty held court during Wednesday’s NASCAR Sprint Media Tour hosted by Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Petty was asked about his opinions regarding the changes that are coming to the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.
Petty said that no matter what point system NASCAR uses, the best will continue to rise to the occasion.
“I won championships I think five different ways they counted the points,” Petty explained. “In the long run, no matter how you cut the points or how you look at them, you’re pretty well going to have the best guys winning the championship.”
NASCAR is expected to announce the changes on Thursday during the final stop on the Media Tour.
“They can count it about any way they want to and still probably come up with the best that year,” Petty said. “It is just something different. It is just another change. Weather it is the right format or not…it is the format that I guess football and baseball are following so NASCAR looks at it and says, ‘Well, it is pretty successful there. Let’s give it a try here.’”
• Carl Edwards was very vocal about his opinion regarding the proposed changes to the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. If it were up to him, he said he’d prefer to simply go back to the system that NASCAR used for nearly 50 years that saw a champion crowned based on his or her year-long performance.
Fully aware that his opinion likely won’t change the minds of NASCAR officials ahead of Thursday’s official announcement, Edwards simply said, “I hope whatever we do, we stick with it for a long time.”
• Chris Buescher is taking over the No. 60 Roush Fenway Racing Ford Mustang vacated by Travis Pastrana after the 2013 season. While the car number will be the same, nothing else will be. Buescher said the team is new from top to bottom.
“The 60 team of Travis Pastrana moved to the No. 6. Trevor Bayne’s new team is basically all those people with one or two substitutions,” Buescher said. “Our team has been started basically new. We had two full-time teams last year and we were trying to make do for our third team with guys just plugged in here and there.
“We have hired several people this year. Scott Graves is going to be the crew chief. He was Ricky’s (Stenhouse Jr.) crew chief last year. We’ve gotten a couple people from the Roush organization into new positions, in training so to speak. We’ve also hired several people from other race teams. It is a very stout lineup.”
The team doesn’t, at least at this point, have a full lineup of sponsors. Buescher said Ford EcoBoost will be on the car at for the season opener at Daytona Int’l Speedway as well as a few other races later in the season.
Buescher said the goal for the team is to contest the entire Nationwide Series schedule, but nothing is confirmed.
“I can’t give you a 100 percent answer,” Buescher said about running the full schedule. “The plan, right now, is we are going to plan on running the full schedule as long as it keeps going well. As long as I’m not tearing up three cars a weekend and as long as we can find sponsorship after we get going.
“We want to make it to where it is a much better funded program and make sure we are still competitive. If that is all in place, then yes, we are going to run the full season.”