Finally, It’s Pitkat On Modified Tour
STAFFORD, Conn. — After winning 71 times at Stafford Motor Speedway in weekly competition, there was never any doubt that Woody Pitkat knew his way around his home track. Now Pitkat can add a NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour win to his résumé.
The veteran driver dominated the Call Before You Dig 811 150 and beat Ron Silk to the line by over four seconds to pick up his first career win in his 86th tour start.
Donny Lia followed Silk in third with point leader Doug Coby and Eric Goodale completing the top five.
Rowan Pennink finished sixth and Ted Christopher seventh. Justin Bonsignore, Ryan Preece and Matt Hirschman rounded out the top 10.
Pitkat started second to polesitter Bobby Santos and quickly drove his No. 88 Buzz Chew Chevrolet/Elbow East Chevrolet to the lead on lap three stayed out front for the bulk of the first half of the race until a caution on lap 76 for Patrick Emerling stalling on the track brought the leaders to the pits.
Pitkat came out of the pit stop in eighth place with Donny Lia in the lead, Ryan Preece second and Ron Silk third.
Pitkat quickly moved up through the field and was up to fourth by lap 92 and was second to then leader Ron Silk by lap 102. Pitkat closed in and passed Silk on Lap 115 for the lead where he remained the rest of the night.
Pitkat’s previous best finish on the tour was second — three times.
The race was slowed just two times by caution with the first yellow flag given to the field on lap seven after Tommy Barrett Jr. stopped on the track with a flat tire.
1. (2) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 83.773 mph.
2. (6) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 150.
3. (3) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Dodge, 150.
4. (5) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (11) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (9) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (4) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (10) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
9. (7) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Ford, 150.
10. (18) Matt Hirschman, Northampton, PA, Chevrolet, 150.
11. (14) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
12. (1) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
13. (17) Keith Rocco, Wallingford, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
14. (12) Mike Stefanik, Coventry, R.I., Chevrolet, 149.
15. (13) Tommy Barrett, Jr., Millis, Mass., Chevrolet, 149.
16. (15) Glen Reen, Wilbraham, Mass., Chevrolet, 148.
17. (19) Ron Yuhas, Jr., Groton, Conn., Chevrolet, 148.
18. (16) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 148.
19. (8) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, NY, Chevrolet, 147.
20. (22) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Pontiac, 144.
21. (20) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 115.
22. (23) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 102, suspension.
23. (21) Dave Salzarulo, Monson, Mass., Chevrolet, 38, suspension.