Pursley Powers To Kern Co. Glory
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — It was a two-horse race for the Armed Forces 150 checkered flag, and in the end Greg Pursley came out on top of David Mayhew in NASCAR K&N Pro Series West action at Kern County Raceway Park.
Pursley led the first 113 laps from his pole position, but the bulk of those were with Mayhew right in his rearview. Mayhew finally edged ahead on lap 114 and set sail for what would have been his third-consecutive victory, but a late-race caution changed everything.
On lap 136, the caution came out for a stalled car. On the lap-142 restart, Mayhew and Pursley waged a side-by-side battle that figured to go all the way to the checkered flag, but as the pair came through turn two on lap 146 the slowed car of Bill Kann was in Mayhew’s line and he had to put on the brakes to avoid contact.
The evasive action dropped Mayhew to fourth in the moment, and Pursley cruised for the final four circuits in the No. 26 GPM/Star Nursery/Real Water Ford to his 19th career victory and increased his lead in the championship standings to 18 over Mayhew, who has two wins this season. Dylan Lupton, Brandon McReynolds and Giles Thornton follow closely.
Lupton ended up second and Mayhew came across the line third. McReynolds and Jesse Little brought home the top five.
1. (1) Greg Pursley, Newhall, Calif., Ford, 150 laps, 57.532 mph.
2. (5) Dylan Lupton, Wilton, Calif., Ford, 150.
3. (3) David Mayhew, Atascadero, Calif., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (2) Brandon McReynolds, Mooresville, N.C., Toyota, 150.
5. (6) Jesse Little, Sherrills Ford, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (4) James Bickford, Napa, Calif., Ford, 150.
7. (7) Giles Thornton, Whitefish, Mont., Toyota, 150.
8. (8) Jamie Krzysik, Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, Chevrolet, 150.
9. (11) Anthony Giannone, Colorado Springs, Colo., Toyota, 150.
10. (12) Christopher Wahl, Surprise, Ariz., Toyota, 150.
11. (19) Zack Huffman, Manteca, Calif., Toyota, 150.
12. (13) Rich DeLong III, Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 150.
13. (18) Tyler Monroe, Meridian, Idaho, Toyota, 150.
14. (16) Bill Kann, Scottsdale, Ariz., Toyota, 149.
15. (17) Scott Ivie, San Ramon, Calif., Toyota, 146.
16. (10) Thomas Martin, Auburn, Calif., Chevrolet, 138.
17. (14) John Wood, Eagle, Idaho, Toyota, 137.
18. (9) Luis Tyrrell, Brisbane, Calif., Chevrolet, 111, engine.
19. (15) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, Calif., Chevrolet, 54, vibration.