KENNEDY: California Coast
The 12th season of NASCAR Whelen All-American Series racing on the Irwindale Speedway half-mile and third-mile tracks took place in 2013. Fifteen nights of competition were scheduled and completed. Eighteen race nights are scheduled in 2014, starting with the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West 150 on Saturday, March 22.
Series that raced for Irwindale Speedway 2013 points were:
– Lucas Oil Late Models – Nine races, four different winners, including first time winners Toni McCray and Cole Custer. (36 drivers earned points).
– Super Late Models – Eight races, three winners, including Juan Garcia, from Bogota, Columbia. (31 drivers earned points).
– Super Stocks – Seven races, four winners, including first-time winner Gary Read. (22 drivers scored points).
– Mini Stocks – Seven races, four winners. (27 drivers earned points).
– Irwindale Race Trucks – Eight races, five winners, including first timers Kenny Brown and Christian McGhee. (32 drivers scored points).
– Legend Cars – Seven races, four winners. (32 drivers tallied points).
– Bandoleros – Ten races, four winners, including first time winners Ryan Vargas, Nico Mongenel and Levi Jackson. (16 youngsters earned points).
– Lucas Oil Late Models – Ryan Partridge, 25, Rancho Cucamonga – First late-model title for the 2010 Super Truck track champion. He won five of nine features.
– Super Late Models – Rip Michels, 48, San Fernando – Fourth super late model track championship for Irwindale’s 2000 Grand Am Modified champ. His other super late model titles came in 2002, 2003 and 2007. He won six of eight features.
– Super Stocks – Zack Green, 23, Long Beach – First Irwindale championship. He won four of seven races.
– Mini Stock – Robby Hornsby, 21, Yucaipa – First Irwindale track crown. He won three of seven races.
– Irwindale Race Trucks – Darren Cheek, 38, Redlands – First truck championship for two-time Irwindale super stock champion (2002 and 2007). Cheek and Todd Cameron tied with 326 points. Neither driver won a feature, but their championship deadlock was broken by Cheek’s three second-place finishes to two second-place finishes by Cameron.
– Legends – Darren Amidon, 28, Alpine – Second crown for 2007 Legends champ. He won two of seven features.
– Bandoleros – Ricky Lewis, 15, Oxnard – First Irwindale championship. He won five of 10 mains.
Rookies of the Year
Four series had rookies of the year honored at the March 7 championship awards dinner. They were Andrew Porter, 19 (late models); Andre Prescott, 18 (super late models); Christian McGhee, 15 (Irwindale race trucks) and Garret Green (mini stocks).
Other touring series that raced at Irwindale Speedway in 2013 were:
PYP Southwest Tour Trucks (five times) – Neil Conrad won all five features.
SRL S2 Cars (three times) – Ryan Cansdale (twice) and Trevor Huddleston (once) won features.
Lucas Oil Modifieds (once) – Jason Patison became a first-time Irwindale winner.
Other Irwindale events in 2013 were: Open Competition on the third-mile (four times with four winners)….
PYP Figure 8 (twice-Rod Proctor won both) … PYP Demo Derbies (three times with three winners) … PYP Skid Plate Cars (seven times with three different winners) … Trailer Races (three) … Compact Car Enduro (once) … and one each demolition derbies for compact cars only and powder puffs (women drivers).
MOST IRWINDALE CAREER FEATURE WINS: Rip Michels – 67, Tim Huddleston – 44, Tom Landreth – 43, Nick Joanides – 40, Todd Burns – 36, (tie) Travis Thirkettle and Ryan Partridge – 34 each, (tie) Ron Peterson and Andrew Phipps – 31 each, T. K. Karvasek – 30.