KERCHNER: The Heat Race
CONCORD, N.C. — This week’s heat race will be 10 laps around the racing world.
1. It continues to amaze us how little most competitors actually know about the race promotion business. There is more to it than opening the gates, receiving ticket money and paying purse money.
2. David Gravel is the real deal.
3. Marc Marquez is making MotoGP racing boring.
4. Superspeedways like Daytona Int’l Speedway and Indianapolis Motor Speedway are destination race tracks. Knoxville Raceway and Eldora Speedway are the ultimate short tracks. But there is still something about small fairgrounds race tracks that make racing special.
5. When will Darrell Waltrip stop hyping Danica Patrick?
6. Something just seems right about J.J. Yeley winning sprint car races. The USAC Triple Crown champion, who won Friday night’s WAR wingless sprint car race at Missouri’s Valley Speedway, is among the more than 50 entries for the inaugural SPEED SPORT Challenge May 21 at North Carolina’s Millbridge Speedway.
7. Wouldn’t it be interesting to know how many different racers have finished second to Brett Hearn during the past 30 years?
8. The race for the World of Outlaws STP Sprint Car Series championship is going to be very interesting with Joey Saldana, Paul McMahan, Daryn Pittman and Donny Schatz all in the fight.
9. Will NASCAR and its team owners ever find a better way to spend money than holding demolition derbies at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway?
10. The inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis has drawn plenty of interest, but does the event have the staying power to become a healthy annual event to kick off the month of May?