KERCHNER: Friday Morning Heat Race
8. Fifty-nine cars are currently entered for next month’s Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring at Sebring Int’l Raceway. Among the manufacturers entered are Peugeot, Aston Martin, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Nissan, Mazda, Pescarolo, Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Panoz, Porsche, BMW and Chevrolet.
9. It would have been news if someone named Kaeding hadn’t won the ASCS sprint-car opener at California’s Thunderbowl Raceway earlier this week. Tim Kaeding claimed the victory.
10. I hope we no longer hear about the NASCAR season being too long. Wednesday Clint Bowyer won a UMP modified race at Volusia County Speedway. Ken Schrader finished second and fellow stock-car drivers Kenny Wallace, Austin Dillon and Ty Dillon were also in the field.
11. Keep an eye on Kevin Swindell in Saturday’s ARCA Racing Series event at Daytona Int’l Raceway. The two-time Chili Bowl champion will be driving an Eddie Sharp Racing Toyota in what he says is the only race he has scheduled for the remainder of the season. Not that he doesn’t every time he goes on the track, but surely the third-generation shoe will be driving like he has something to prove.
12. Make sure you look for the National Speed Sport News car in Saturday’s ARCA Racing Series event at Daytona Int’l Speedway. Fast Track Driving School proprietor Andy Hillenburg has created the Fast Track Blue Collar Driver Challenge presented by National Speed Sport News. All drivers who complete Fast Track’s Advanced Short Track Driver Development Course will be entered for a chance to win the Blue Collar Driver Challenge at no additional cost. The winner of the Driver Challenge will win a ride in a Hillenburg prepared stock car for the Ansell Protective Gloves 200 ARCA Racing Series event at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis July 28. As part of the partnership, the NSSN colors will adorn Hillenburg’s No. 11 wheeled by Bryan Silas this weekend at Daytona.
13. If you are interested in what is happening in Florida during the days leading up to the Great American Race, don’t forget to log on to www.nationalspeedsportnews.com or www.nssnonline.com for frequent updates from Florida, including all the short track results from East Bay, New Smyrna and Volusia County Speedway.