KERCHNER: New Year’s Heat Race
Happy New Year!
Welcome to a New Year’s edition of the heat race.
1. Dave Darland and Jon Stanbrough banging wheels while racing for the lead is priceless whether it be indoors on New Year’s Day or outdoors during Indiana Sprint Week.
2. Our beloved Big Ten conference laid a massive egg, going 0-5 in New Year’s Day college football bowl games.
3. The annual Tulsa Shootout drew 715 cars to the Tulsa (Okla.) Expo Raceway, but most importantly, the Chili Bowl is only 10 days away.
4. Here’s hoping for a new NASCAR Sprint Cup champion next season. Jimmie Johnson’s run of five straight has been historic, but the overkill has continued into the off-season with Johnson getting plenty of publicism in the various year in reviews on ESPN and other sports programs.
5. Glad to see Tony Kanaan found a ride for the IZOD IndyCar Series season.
6. The Ice Bowl late-model race at the Talladega (Ala.) Short Track is only six days away.
7. After the longest year-end vacation in years, we’re ready to get back to work this week, but remember there is still no weekly issue of National Speed Sport News until Jan. 19.
8. Testing for the Rolex 24 At Daytona will hit full swing Jan. 7-9 at Daytona Int’l Speedway with the annual twice-around-the clock race Jan. 28-29. The Toyota All-Star Showdown is the same weekend at Toyota Speedway @ Irwindale (Calif.).
9. Will Brett Favre finally go away once and for all?
10. For all the latest racing news, log on to www.nationalspeedsportnews.com.