Driver Seriously Injured At Clearfield Oval

CLEARFIELD, Pa. – A wild night at the races at America’s Motorsports Park saw three drivers find victory lane, one driver hospitalized and a fan also hospitalized at the same time.

New winners included Brian Rhed in the Srock Contracting Street Stocks, Eric Luzier in the WG Satterlee Pure Stocks and Andrew Moist in the Clearfield County Metals Four Cylinders.

Repeat winners included Duane Stiner in the Randy Sterling Trucking Late Models, Paul Ivory in the Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub Semi Lates and John Braim in the Point Spring and Break Laurel Highland Sprints.

The Late Models hit the track with Tom Merryman Jr. and Randy Sterling on the front row, with Merryman taking the lead. He led until the first caution on lap two. On the restart fourth place starter Duane Stiner moved into the lead and with an inside move on the backstretch entering turn three. Luke Hoffner followed suite and the pair was pulling away from the rest of the field.

Cautions fell at a regular pace, keeping the field tightened up, with Dan Gill passing Josh Jacoby on lap eight to take over third, but Gill could not run down the leaders as Stiner went on to get his second win of the season and become the first repeat winner in the class this season. Hoffner, Gill, Jacoby and Scott Alvetro completed the top five. The heats were won by Derek Rodkey and Stiner.

The sprints saw a field of 18 take the green flag as new comer Jacob Gamola took the lead from fellow front row starter Greg Bartchy. Lap two saw Bartchy take the lead with Gamola second and Ralph Engle third with 12th place starter John Braim moving through the field. On lap four Braim was second, taking the lead on lap eight. Bartchy fell to third and was fading some when disaster struck.

Jim Kennedy got tagged and spun into the front stretch wall head on, he bounced off the wall and into traffic, collecting Tylor Cochran and Bartchy. Kennedy ended up nearly on his side. He was not hurt, but medical personnel were tending to Bartchy. He was removed from the car with care and transported by Mountain Top Fire Co. EMS of Sandy Ridge to Clearfield Airport where he was flown by Stat MedEvac Helicopter to UPMC Altoona. At last report Bartchy was in serious condition with little or no feeling in his lower extremities.

Posted by on Jun 22 2014 Filed under MID-ATLANTIC, Racing Nation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.


Join our mailing list to receive the Daily News Update, Special Offers from NSSN or our trusted partners, or BOTH! You can opt-out anytime and we promise not to spam you!

Please Support NSSN’s Sponsors

Follow NSSN On Facebook!