Latest Headlines

Happy Birthday Chris!

Chris Economaki interviews Bobby Allison at Daytona Int'l Speedway during the 1970s. (NSSN Archives photo).

National Speed Sport News Editor Chris Economaki turns 90 years old Friday (Oct. 15).

Economaki sold his first copy of National Speed Sport News at New Jersey’s Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in 1934. He became editor of the publication in 1950 and continues to contribute to the widely read Speed Sport Notebook column in the pages of National Speed Sport News.

We invite readers (you will need to be a registered member) to click the comment button below and leave personal birthday greetings for Chris, which the NSSN staff will print out and share with him later this week.

Happy Birthday Chris!

View a photo gallery featuring Chris Economaki

Posted by on Oct 14 2010 Filed under Latest Headlines, Racing History, Top Stories. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Comments

1. Corinne Economaki says:

Happy Birthday Dad.
    Love,
    Corinne

1. JOHN A. says:

Happy Birthday, Chris. Been with you for years paper and ABC. Keep up you insight views………….

2. Randy says:

Happy 90th Chris!
    keep working..love your insight on things.

RD Stull

3. During this past Midget Week, I was driving a rented car back to Indy from Lawrencburg late a night by myself. At one point, I thought, “Damn, I’m sort of old to be doing this. What if …”. Then, I thought, “Hell, Economaki is almost 20 years old than I am, and he’s still doing it!”, and relaxed for the rest of the ride.

We first met at a URC show at the Erie County Fair in 1960 (I think). It was a Sam Nunis Promotion, and Chris was the announcer. He was one of the two best PA announcers I have heard to this day.

A dozen years later, I became PR Director of NEMA. At that time, the only way for reports of Sunday night races to make that week’s paper was for someone to call the paper. I made my first call and was amazed to find that Chris, himself, answered the phone. He took my report, gave me hell for being disorganized, and told me how to make the next one better. He was as good an Editor as an Announcer.

Happy 90th to Chris, and I’m looking forward to seeing him on the road somewhere next season.

Dick Monahan
    Newburyport, Mass.

1. Dick

You are certainly not alone with a story like that. I have had other people tell me a similar story through the years and have been privy to Chris’s explanation on how to write a good race report on more than a few occasions. Great memories.

Cheers

Mike Kerchner

4. Mark says:

Chris,

It’s been a pleasure watching you work for the fans and a privilege to work alongside you in media centers.

Happy birthday and keep it up.
    Mark Allen

5. Kevin says:

A very Happy Birthday Mr. Economaki. Thanks for all you do!

Best regards,

Kevin York

6. Nancy says:

Happy Birthday to you………From the Halibrand Family!

7. Chris,

Have a Great Birthday!

Mike

8. WalterL Schwartz says:

Happy Birthday!

Walt

9. JOE SECKA says:

Happy 90th Birthday Chris.

Thanks for everything you have done for motorsports and for the development of National Speed Sports News as the premier publication in the arena. I have certainly enjoyed being a part of the publication.

Many Happy Returns!

Joe

10. Haven says:

Hope you enjoy a great bottle of wine for your birthday. Happy 90th!

Stay Connected!

Join our mailing list to receive the Daily News Update, Special Offers from NSSN or our trusted partners, or BOTH! You can opt-out anytime and we promise not to spam you!
Email: